Friday, August 1, 2008

On our soap box

There's been a run on soap here this week at Queen. John Bell & Croyden, our main London stockist, ordered a whole load followed by a pharmacy in Kensington. Why the sudden interest in soap, we wonder, not that there shouldn't be as it is very nice - unperfumed of course and very creamy. Still, it did cause us to suddenly worry about our stocks and we are busy counting how many bars we have left. I often snaffle them for myself and for use on my toddler as they are perfect for baby skin but if supplies are low, I may have to go short.

And, when I walked in this morning, what were the mail order customers buying but soap? It is very strange the way things go in waves. You may not sell much of a particular item for weeks when suddenly everyone wants them. The week before last it was green eye-pencils.

I have been asking ecademy (the online business networking site) members for advice on how best to deal with our freebie hunter issue. 'An occupational hazard for small and medium sized businesses', says one member. He's not kidding. Today, all the enquiries were coming from Ireland. A quick check of Google Analytics revealed that, yes, we were being listed by an Irish site called couponmaster.ie. The thing is that the enquiries all sound very genuine and people have taken the time to explain their sensitive skin issue:

"My skin is very dry, but very sensitive also. After showering, my skin is tight and sore, and stings when I use moisturiser. I was hoping you could recommend one of your products for my skin, and was also hoping you could send me a sample before I buy?"

Says another:

"My skin used to be oily, but since having a baby it's been quite dry. I use Tisserand foam cleanser and Sante day and night creams, but they still contain perfume (although I think it's essential oils) and I really find it difficult to find a correct cream."

This last message reminds me that we have had quite a few enquiries of late from women who are experiencing problems with their skin during and after pregnancy. Another woman writes saying she has always had sensitive skin but that, during her current pregnancy, Nivea baby sun lotion has caused an outbreak of urticaria (an itchy rash caused by an allergic reaction to anything from food to sunlight to prescription drugs). She is now finding it impossible to use anything on her skin without further irritating it and is desperate to find some skincare and make-up products she can use before she goes to a number of weddings later in the year.

Having had a baby myself a couple of years ago, I can only say that Queen products are fabulous for both mother and baby. My lips were so dry during pregnancy and, even now, I can't go to sleep without slathering on Skin Cream (I have to have a pot by the bed and now always carry one around with me lest I forget to pack one when I go away for the night or on holiday. I can't stand waking in the night with dry lips which it is impossible not to lick thus making them even more dry). Enriched Moisturising Lotion was, and remains, a godsend for dry skin and to prevent or minimise stretch marks.

It was actually a client of ours that alerted me to the fact that our Medicated Cleansing Lotion makes an excellent baby lotion. Once we started using that instead of wipes or perfumed lotion, we had no more nappy rash and it's great, and so much more gentle, for cleaning a mucky face with than harsh, drying wipes.

Anyway, I do think that Queen for pregnant mums is definitely an angle we should pursue. There is clearly a need out there.

John Bell & Croyden was relatively busy this week when we went up to do our weekly promotion. Famous faces I didn't see (due to having gone to the toilet or nipped out for a sandwich) included Johnny Vaughn who was very chipper according to the staff. I did see Michael Portillo walking past the store wearing an extraordinary (and very scruffy) ensemble but that was about it.

A couple of women wafted past, saying 'Ah yes, Queen, I know it well. Lovely products, very good reputation.' We were unable to ascertain whether this meant they were Queen users or not. I like to think so.

Well, time is running out and there's things to do, like catch the last post.

Have a good weekend.

No comments: